STEM & Apologetics is Coming To CHAP!
Mobile Robotics Clinics*
Ci Robots & God Adventure is designed to challenge the mind and engage the heart on creation & theology of technology.
Robots & God Camp
- STEM = Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics
- Future jobs – nearly 80% of future careers will require STEM
- After school STEM programs are currently serving more than 1.3M middle school students
- Improved attitudes toward STEM fields and careers
- Increased STEM capabilities and skills
- Higher likelihood of graduation and pursuing a STEM career
- Lack of a STEM “identity” is often cited as one of the main reasons that young people do not pursue STEM fields
Why STEM & Robotics?
- Points students to Christ by discovering complexities of Creation
- Prepares students for 21st century job skills
- Problem Solving / Engineering
- Math – angles, rotations, distance, programming
- Computational Thinking skills
- Engages Digital Natives – they need theology of technology (see highlights below)
- Robotics is a most engaging and effective way to introduce STEM education & to inspire kids to pursue STEM careers as they experience personal success
- Robotics is a great way to get students excited about science, technology, engineering and math. Studies show that it is highly effective in developing team-work and self-confidence.
- Study of robotics gives students an understanding of the digital world in which they live.
Overview of our Robotics & Apologetics Introduction Workshop
- Biblical Basis – discuss being made in God’s image, similarities and differences, impact of the Fall
- What’s a Robot? – explain the basic parts and show how they parallel the human being
- Discuss Roles & Teamwork
- Parts Introduction – explain they might have to get parts from other teams, helps with negotiation skills
- Basic Build – instructions come with the Lego Mindstorm
- Software/Programming – discuss the role of programming the robot
- Demo Basic Build – require each team give a demo of their basic robot
- Challenge – introduce them to the various challenge robots
- Problem Solving – discuss the importance of testing and debugging
- Teamwork – students learn the benefits and challenges of teamwork and problem solving
- hands-on emphasis, every student will have access to the latest Lego Mindstorm EV3 Robotics Kit & tutorial software
- strong problem solving
- teamwork emphasis
- strong integration of apologetics with robotics using several creation videos from Answers in Genesis
exposure to both hardware and software of robotics
- our theology of technology integration helps each student develop a solid biblical worldview
Comments from past workshop participants
- It helped me learn teamwork with my friends.
- We learned to work together and talk things out.
- I learned I’m not always right!
- We learned how to communicate with each other and how to multi-task.
- It was better working with a team than alone.
- When one of us couldn’t figure something out, we would work together to fix the problem.
- I learned that working together was a great way to accomplish things because each person thinks a different way.
- I learned to choose better partners.
- It was really fun to work together and build the robot.
This camp includes:
- 2-3 students per robot/computer
- 3 hour hands-on workshop
- available for grades 3-6 & 7-12
- Robotics Adventures
- use of a LEGO Mindstorm EV3 Robotics Kit
- use of an Apple iPad
- use of Lightbot programming app
- use of Mindstorm programming app
- watch apologetics videos from Answers in Genesis
“Where Science & Technology Meet Truth”
Both Friday’s and Saturday’s clinics are the same content and the same time, beginning at 1:30 p.m. Feel free to purchase the clinic day that works best for you, but register soon – space is limited!
Parents may choose to sit in the back of the room quietly, but are not required to stay. Parents may be contacted if their child needs to leave the room for any reason. Parents are asked to return immediately after the last speaking session of the convention ends (4:15 p.m.) for a presentation of their child’s work prior to cleaning up and closing.
*Check out the discounts (listed on the Add-Ons page) that paying CHAP members receive! Registration for the clinics is available through your CHAP Family Registration.